[Wylug-help] USB Memory Stick Mounts Read Only

Towle, William william.towle at echostar.com
Mon Oct 13 11:11:31 UTC 2008

  I have a memory stick with a physical write-protect switch,
and if I've knocked it on by accident (not easy but has
happened), then an attempt to mount it manually [`mount
/media/usbdisk` (where this RHEL4 box likes it to appear)]
produces the warning "mount: block device /dev/sdb1 is write
protected, mounting read only".

  In the case where KDE is set up to auto-mount the device
for you, I imagine you'd get messages logged somewhere (but
I'm at work and don't have the luxury of testing that
easily here).

HTH,
  Wills.