[Wylug-help] rtl8185 wireless card

Roger Beaumont roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Sat Sep 13 11:36:05 UTC 2008

Don Magee wrote:

>  I'm using WEP but it still fails with no security. It does 4 attempts
>  at authentication and then fails.
>
>  This is the output from dmesg with security turned off at the AP.
>
>  wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
>  wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0c:41:12:13:2d
>  wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0c:41:12:13:2d
>  wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0c:41:12:13:2d
>  wlan0: authentication with AP 00:0c:41:12:13:2d timed out

Am I right that 00:0c:... is coming from the AP?  If so, there seems to
be an successful dialogue happening, with an unsuccessful outcome - and
thus some glitch with the specific authentication, not the process.
Ignoring key issues, does the AP have a list of acceptable MAC addresses
to which this card needs adding?

Roger