[Wylug-help] Remote access to NAS storage

Roger Greenwood rogerggbr at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 9 18:43:51 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I am looking to get a small NAS box (e.g. Netgear RND-2000, £200 with
500GB disk) but I also want to access it remotely (for backup purposes).
Obviously this means me playing with router firewall settings, and
knowing my IP address. IP is essentially static as it is logged on all
the time (ISP Talk Talk, router smartAX 882). If it does change sometime
in the future I can live with it.

Local network devices are generally allocated a static IP in the range
192.168.x.x  I have read some conflicting advice regarding use of DMZ or
not, so am not sure about this. Any other NAS devices people have
experience of, or other solutions also of interest.

Any advice before I splash the cash, or notes of caution most welcome. I
don't like changing firewall settings too much as I tend to break things
when I play around!

By the way, I should say that network connection and speed has been
excellent so far (nearly 2 years now) so I don't want to switch ISP's.