[Wylug-help] Remote access to NAS storage

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Tue Apr 14 17:33:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 19:43 +0100, Roger Greenwood wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking to get a small NAS box (e.g. Netgear RND-2000, £200 with
> 500GB disk) but I also want to access it remotely (for backup purposes).
> Obviously this means me playing with router firewall settings, and
> knowing my IP address. IP is essentially static as it is logged on all
> the time (ISP Talk Talk, router smartAX 882). If it does change sometime
> in the future I can live with it.
>
> Local network devices are generally allocated a static IP in the range
> 192.168.x.x  I have read some conflicting advice regarding use of DMZ or
> not, so am not sure about this. Any other NAS devices people have
> experience of, or other solutions also of interest.
>
> Any advice before I splash the cash, or notes of caution most welcome. I
> don't like changing firewall settings too much as I tend to break things
> when I play around!
>
> By the way, I should say that network connection and speed has been
> excellent so far (nearly 2 years now) so I don't want to switch ISP's.

Dump your modem/router for one with dynamic dns support. Sign up for a
free account with DynDNS or whoever. Configure the router with that
DynDNS service and have a constant address that your router will update
and change IP addresses if it changes so you only ever need aim at one
address. Configure the necessary port forwarding to the new NAS in the
router and the jobs a good one! ;-)

Regards

Phil