[Wylug-help] Remote access to NAS storage

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Apr 15 15:55:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Lee Evans wrote:

> MACs never change - they are, for the most part, as good as hard-coded into
> the network adapter. An IP could change for any one of a number of good
> reasons.

I wouldn't entirely agree with that.  The default MAC is hard coded, but
you're free to change it to whatever you like.  It's useful for uniquely
identifying a piece of hardware on your network, assuming you have control of
the network, but it's not a safe way of ensuring you're talking to the bit of
kit you think you are.

> However, John was right. MACs work at the datalink layer and your broadband
> router will know nothing about the MAC address of the remote system so you
> can't filter on it.

Quite.

jh

--
"Technology... the knack of so arrangeing the world that we don't have to
  experience it."                                     -- Max Frisch