[Wylug-help] Remote access to NAS storage

Lee Evans lee at leeevans.org
Wed Apr 15 16:08:33 UTC 2009

>I wouldn't entirely agree with that.  The default MAC is hard coded, but
>you're free to change it to whatever you like.  It's useful for uniquely
>identifying a piece of hardware on your network, assuming you have control
of
>the network, but it's not a safe way of ensuring you're talking to the bit
of
>kit you think you are.

Right - I was simplifying. If you really know what you're talking about,
what you're doing and how to do it is of course possible to change. Some
broadband routers work on this principle where an ISPs service has been
configured with a fixed MAC for the client end, for example.

However, it's not something that happens often (I'd be fairly comfortable
guessing that less than 1% of NICs would ever be given a different MAC for
any reason) so I think that 'for the most part' and 'as good as' is a fair
description.

Cheers

Lee