[Wylug-help] System hangs on USB - same error on different hardware and kernels

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 11:10:33 UTC 2009

2009/12/30 Felix Ulrich-Oltean <linux at felixu.com>

> Hi again
>
> I've now tried installing Ubuntu 9 (also tried running the live cd
> version of it), but the system still hangs.
>
> I tried not having any SATA devices, but using an old IDE hard drive
> instead - same problem, i.e. system hangs after all the messages about
> ehci_hcd.
>
> I've also tried disabling the USB stuff in the BIOS - no change.
>
> I can get a "rescue" boot going from the Debian install CD if I append
> the "nousb" option to the installation command.
>
> Does anyone know what GRUB commands the Debian "install nousb" uses.  I
> believe the nousb thing is just a debian install command, but I'm not
> sure that the options are if I tried to pass them to the "kernel"
> command in grub.

The error that you're seeing vaguely rings a bell and might relate to an
incorrectly installed or faulty USB module, which would explain why it boots
up with nousb. A google around 'linux ehci_hcd error confirms this. I've
seen the problem that you're getting and it relates to the module attempting
to get a profile for the module it has identified and on failing, bringing
the system down with it as it's involved with storage and is therefore in
the core system.

One workaround might be to install a system with nousb and then install the
module using modprobe. To debug it, you should be able to boot from a live
CD and see if the hardware USB module is identified using dmesg.

s/
--
Looking for work
My CV: http://sites.google.com/site/simongreenwoodscv/