[Wylug-help] downgrade to php4

Jonathan Bramble j.bramble04 at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Feb 2 13:47:58 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have recently been given the task of fixing our local server which ran
bumblebee (an instrument management program
http://bumblebeeman.sourceforge.net/).

The old server was set up by a student who was a linux expert, but has
left now. Unfortunately no one had responsibility for this system,
despite the widespread usage of bumblebee in our research group.

The system recently died, the hard drive was gone and there was no
backup!

I have replaced the drive and installed ubuntu server 8.10.  I have got
apache2, mysql and php installed ok and tested them out.

Reading the documentation in more detail, it appears that bumblebee wont
work with php5.

So I tried the latest developer version which is supposed to work with
php5 but it is unstable and unusable.

My question is:  how do I downgrade to php4 ?  this doesn't seem very
clear in any google search. Or should I try to sort out the problems
with the new version on my system?

Thanks for any advice, that you may be able to give me.

Jonathan

Dr. J. P. Bramble

Molecular and Nanoscale Physics

School of Physics and Astronomy