[Wylug-help] logrotate

Roger roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 00:26:05 UTC 2009

I serve a couple of sites that I've recently modified and I'm using
analog to analyse the logs, BUT logrotate currently only keeps 4 weeks
of logs and I want to analyse developments over a longer period for
these two sites only.

However, logrotate works on Sunday mornings, so I've just missed the
deadline for suck-it-and-see to give me feedback for another week! :(

Can someone tell me if the following will do what I want (preserve the
logs for these 2 sites for 17 weeks (4 months))?

I've left the logrotate.d/httpd file unchanged - so I think the script
written for Apache should continue as-is for the other sites I'm
serving.  However, to modify this for those two sites, I've added:

# apache logs for analog
"/etc/httpd/logs/site1-access_log" /etc/httpd/logs/site2-access_log {
   rotate 17
}

to the end of /etc/logrotate.conf

My questions are:
a) whether that is the right syntax for 2 specific logs (the first in
double quotes, the second without) that I took from the man page.
b) does that leave all other settings for these logs as previously set
(that's the only change I want to make)?
c) does that leave all the other httpd logrotate settings unchanged?

I tried Googling, but didn't find anything to help with these particular
questions.

Thanks in advance,

Roger