[Wylug-help] Desktop Spanning Multiple Screens

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Mon Jul 13 15:04:52 UTC 2009

John Hodrien writes:

> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Smylers wrote:
>
> > 'DRI' is some technology necessary for what I'm trying to do, and
> > that '965' is a chip number and it's newer than the 'Mobile
> > 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller'
>
> You should be able to disable DRI and see what gives.

Thanks; I wasn't aware of that as a possibility.

> I believe it's:
>
> Option "DRI" false
>
> in the device section of your xorg.conf.

(For the archive, and anybody else playing along at home: "false" needs
quoting.)

> Could be worth seeing what it does in a single monitor setup.

Yes, that works, and enables placing screens side-by-side.  Thanks.

> DRI certainly isn't required for a normal 2D desktop

I had to disable Compiz to make it work (first attempt, with Compiz
still enabled, was an all-white screen; now that I've got a wide desktop
working Gnome sensibly declines to let me enable Compiz, but apparently
isn't clever enough to detect if it's already enabled but can't be run
not to let it).

Given that the physical arrangement on my desk means that the external
monitor is significantly higher than the laptop anyway, if I can solve
the panel placement issue I'll try living with the 'stacked' screens for
a while and see how it is (so I can leave Compiz on).

But it's good to know that I have the option of doing it the other way.
Thanks.

Smylers