[Wylug-help] Desktop Spanning Multiple Screens

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jul 13 15:13:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Smylers wrote:

> I had to disable Compiz to make it work (first attempt, with Compiz
> still enabled, was an all-white screen; now that I've got a wide desktop
> working Gnome sensibly declines to let me enable Compiz, but apparently
> isn't clever enough to detect if it's already enabled but can't be run
> not to let it).

Yes, I wondered if compiz would feature.  I'm of the feeling that compiz still
falls outside of 'normal' I guess.  Probably a lack of DRI kills the Composite
extension, which compiz relies on.

If you're having a quiet day and feel like making a properly crazy multi
monitor desktop (without this nasty restriction that all the monitors have to
be attached to the same machine), you can do much worse than look at xdmx.  It
works pretty well, although it certainly doesn't scale to 28 1600x1200
monitors over gigabit.

jh