[Wylug-help] Semi-OT: Weird emails from router

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 15 11:40:30 UTC 2009

I get emails from my Netgear router detailing possible security threats, and
up to the end of June everything looked normal.  Then, for the whole of July,
I started getting emails with August dates.  For instance

Date:  Sat Aug 15 01:00:05 2009

Tue, 2009-07-14 15:41:18 - Send out NTP request to time-h.netgear.com
Tue, 2009-07-14 15:41:19 - Receive NTP Reply from time-h.netgear.com

As you see, the message contents bear the correct date.

It's no big deal, except that it messes up my display order of email, but I'm
totally puzzled by this.  Of course it could be a simple bug.  It didn't
happen last summer but I suppose that if it's a calculation bug that would be
irrelevant.  OTOH, if you are aware of something else I should check, please
tell me.

There was definitely no change to configuration on the 1st July.  I was at
Gran Canaria Desktop Summit at the time, and only the IMAP port was open.
Every router log message detailed exactly what I expected to see - apart from
the message date.