[Wylug-help] xauth problem from laptop

j.lander at leeds.ac.uk j.lander at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jun 22 21:55:46 UTC 2009

Jim,

>> ssh -Y -C -l root harpo
>>
>> set to run in a terminal
>>
>> Anyone know how I fix it?
>
> I'm no "X"pert, but I tend to use the -X option not -Y.
> If anyone would like to explain the diference I'd happily listen.

If I recall correctly, -Y does what -X used to do.

-X enables X11 forwarding with Xauth authentication and the X11 Security
    extensions enabled.

-Y enables X11 forwarding with Xauth style authentication.

The X11 security extensions seem to provide access control to individual
X11 messages from a client rather than giving it free range over the
server.

Incidentally, Gary's original shell problems sound like what you would get
if the .bash_profile or .bashrc fails to run to completion.

- Jason