[Wylug-help] Inactive RAID 10 Array - Need More Help Please

Chris Davies Chris.Davies at bcs.org.uk
Fri May 8 21:25:52 UTC 2009

Dave Fisher wrote:
> Yes, I am sorted (ish), i.e. I have a running system, using a recovered
> version of the dodgy array (/dev/md0) and I don't think that I've lost
> any data.

> Is the de-synchronisation of revision counts an example of the so-called
> 'write hole' in RAID?

I'm not familiar with this... I'll go and read. I must admit that I've
tended to stay with RAID1 on the basis that each disk contains a full
image (rather than bits of it) so in the worst case I can completely
bypass the RAID layer and access the underlying disk itself.

Where I do use RAID5, it's using a PERC card (i.e. at the hardware
level) in our DELL servers.

Pleased to hear that you're up and running again, even though it was at
the cost of several days wasted time.

Chris