[Wylug-help] Locking Desktop - intel_rng?

Felix Ulrich-Oltean linux at felixu.com
Sat Oct 31 17:02:30 UTC 2009

Hi

I'm trying to power up a Dell box with a SATA hard-drive running
Debian, but it keeps locking up. I get the grub menu and can choose
various linux kernels (both stock and custom). It starts booting, but
always locks up after a while.  The last errorish message I see on
screen is from intel_rng about the firmware being read-only.  I've
googled a bit and there suggestions about setting a module option
intel_rng: no_fwh_detect.  Trouble is I can't edit the modules config
file because I can't boot - is there a way of doing it with grub before
I boot?

BTW, I get the same issue booting from  debian install cd or from
another ide hard drive.  I don't have any other OS around to try

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks,

Felix.

Context:
I've been running Debian unstable for years on a shuttle-like box, but
it's finally died.  I have been given a Dell Dimension desktop box and
I'm trying to resurrect my system, if only to rescue some data off
the hard drive.