[Wylug-help] Firewall and network printing

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Sat Apr 17 21:53:30 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 17:17 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> It's a long time since I set up printing over the network, in terms of a usb
> printer attached to the server, but I need to do it again and I'm not getting
> it right.  As far as I can tell the firewall is blocking it.  I'm not really
> familiar with firewall rules, so I must be getting it wrong.  Can someone
> please spell it out - newby-fashion?  Thanks

AFAIK CUPS uses port 631 for everything on the client side.

> FWIW, I can see the printer - the job never goes through, and the print queue
> tells me that the printer is not connected.

Where does it say it's not connected? On the server or the client?

The way it should work is that the server does the rendering and
communication with the printer, and the clients communicate over port
631 using PDF (used to be PS) as the document format.

If the server can see the printer, I can't understand why the client
would say it was off-line.

Cheers,

James