[Wylug-help] Firewall and network printing

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 18 09:13:51 UTC 2010

On Saturday 17 April 2010 22:53:24 James Holden wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 17:17 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > It's a long time since I set up printing over the network, in terms of a
> > usb printer attached to the server, but I need to do it again and I'm
> > not getting it right.  As far as I can tell the firewall is blocking it.
> >  I'm not really familiar with firewall rules, so I must be getting it
> > wrong.  Can someone please spell it out - newby-fashion?  Thanks
>
> AFAIK CUPS uses port 631 for everything on the client side.
>
> > FWIW, I can see the printer - the job never goes through, and the print
> > queue tells me that the printer is not connected.
>
> Where does it say it's not connected? On the server or the client?
>
> The way it should work is that the server does the rendering and
> communication with the printer, and the clients communicate over port
> 631 using PDF (used to be PS) as the document format.
>
> If the server can see the printer, I can't understand why the client
> would say it was off-line.

On the client (this laptop) in system-config-printer I can see the printer
that is attached to the server.  I can also see it in the print dialog from
KWrite, for instance, but I get the 'not connected' message if I view the
print queue.  Opening cups configuration on the server shows the printer as
idle, accepting jobs and published.  That's why I came to the conclusion that
it must be the firewall blocking it.  OTOH, this is a new installation of
Fedora - I'd better check whether SELinux could be involved.

KDE Community Working Group