[Wylug-help] Rsync problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 4 10:32:23 UTC 2010

For some time I have used rsync to frequently back up certain files (using
cron), but I decided to extend this.  Basically, my file server's data
partition is mounted from the laptop, so that address is used for the backup.

Yesterday I set up a large backup using 'rsync -auvzr', as I had used
previously.  To my surprise I find that many files returned

rsync: chgrp "/mnt/servername/fulladdress" failed: Operation not permitted
(1).

Checking some of the files, I find that they are, on the server, owned
nobody:nobody.  What went wrong and how do I fix it - for later backups, I
mean.  I'll manually fix it for the current batch.

KDE Community Working Group