[Wylug-help] Rsync problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 4 10:38:32 UTC 2010

On Saturday 04 December 2010 10:32:25 Anne Wilson wrote:
> For some time I have used rsync to frequently back up certain files (using
> cron), but I decided to extend this.  Basically, my file server's data
> partition is mounted from the laptop, so that address is used for the
> backup.
>
> Yesterday I set up a large backup using 'rsync -auvzr', as I had used
> previously.  To my surprise I find that many files returned
>
> rsync: chgrp "/mnt/servername/fulladdress" failed: Operation not permitted
> (1).
>
> Checking some of the files, I find that they are, on the server, owned
> nobody:nobody.  What went wrong and how do I fix it - for later backups, I
> mean.  I'll manually fix it for the current batch.

I realise now that all my previous rsync backups have been within the
fileserver itself, so it's almost certainly the fact that my mount from the
laptop is not sufficient to identify myself and set permissions.  How do I do
that across the network?  Currently cron runs as anne and my username and
password are identical on laptop and server.

KDE Community Working Group