[Wylug-help] Webcams... what to buy that'll "just work"?

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Tue Jan 5 17:21:46 UTC 2010

All,

I want to buy a webcam so the kids can do video calls to their gran in
Spain.

The last time I tinkered with webcams on Linux, support was seriously
flakey to say the least. Has the situation improved in recent years?

Does anyone have a particular model they recommend? Should I go for a
reputable brand like Logitech or can I expect that all the generic
Chinese made ones on ebay will contain a compatible chipset?

I'm on the latest Ubuntu.

Cheers,

James