[Wylug-help] Fetchmail setup

A J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Thu Nov 25 16:24:41 UTC 2010

>On 25 Nov 2010, at 11:02, A J Cole wrote:
>
>> Maildrop is an MDA - it doesn't at a quick look appear to offer any
>> advantage over procmail other than perhaps its use (more precisely its
>> non-use) of memory while processing mega mail messages.  A quck look
>> at that bug thread isn't too worrying since nearly all the reports are
>> of an error message being produced (with mail still being delivered)
>> which appears to be due to maildrop's development as the(?) MDA for the
>> Courier MTA.
>
>One advantage is maintenance - procmail is in full-on zombie mode -
>it ought to be dead but no one has closed the coffin lid.
>
>See
>	https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/416901/37def822ec99e069/
>
>for details (thats a LWN subscriber link - the article will become
>generally visible at https://lwn.net/Articles/416901 in a week,
>but as a subscriber I can hand out occasional direct article links).

Nigel,

LWN is a new one to me (I have noew bookmarked it) - but then I out of
that loop now!  I have no argument about procmail being descrobed a bit
of a dog's breakfast mixing of its rule engine with somewhat abstruce
LHSs and a pseudo-program structure.

As I said I have used it (24x7) for well in excess of 20 years and
applying the principle of if it isn't broken it is no problem (for *me*).
The only time I have had to look at my rules in the last 10+ years have
been to change the pattern matching for list changes (so - in my case -
maintenance free - and I have long ceased to compile my own (on Linux
at least)).

Andrew