[Wylug-help] Fetchmail setup

A J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Thu Nov 25 16:45:44 UTC 2010

>As I don't use mutt anymore and send the mail directly to my ISPs
>servers I chose a simpler postfix setup this time round. I discovered
>yesterday that mail was sometimes not being passed from postfix to
>procmail and ending up in /var/spool/$USER I imagine I was shutting
>the system down at the time. That never happened with my old setup.

You would expect the e-mail to end in /var/spool/$USER as the default
delivery of procmail (ie. final delivery) if its in $USER it has been
delivered.  I suppose you have checked your rules (as Nigel said in
another message "correct" procmail rules are something of an art form)?
For unfortunate shutdown dequences the MTA should retain the message in
/var/spool/mail for the MTA to sweep later.

>So to avoid this annoyance and as I don't really use postfix anymore I
>decided to look at eliminating it. I'm now using procmail as the
>fetchmail mda and so far it seems to be working.

I don't think thats viable - see my earlier reply to your later message.

>I don't like webmail and have no time for mail clients that can't
>tidly work with mbox or Maildir mail stores

Mbox fine with *me* - Maildir not quite so fine.

>Maildrop on Ubuntu seems broken in the abscence of a full courier
>setup, so I've ditched that idea.

Thats what your web lion implied although even then there was a protection
error (not critical) because of file protections when using MTAs other
than Courier.

>I used to use sendmail, exim as well. Infact I tend to use the
>distro's default MTA, does that make me uncaring ;-)

Ar least you haven't mentioned qmail!

Andrew