[Wylug-help] Fetchmail setup

A J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Thu Nov 25 17:08:55 UTC 2010

Nigel,

>This probably isn't a useful response to the actual problem...
>
>I stopped using fetchmail at all several years ago.
>There are just too many corner cases where it manages to lose mail
>with almost no trace (spam scanning or sender checking at SMTP time
>interactions etc).  Possibly just using fetchmail as a MDA front end
>might be safer, but it still seemed a bit gung-ho at thinking mail
>had been delivered when it actually had not.

Those are the perils of mostly synchronous but sometimes asynchronous
errors from the MTA I guess you are saying that fetchmail just isn't up
to it which I certainly doubt it is with procmail as the MTA.

Rejection at the SMTP commection level from AV checking will always catch
you.  I must admit I always prefer to run the checks on a spooled copy
so there is something there to examine if necessary is the best policy.

Of course its more difficult to avaoid these problems if you are mixing
fetchmail and SMTP incoming.  With sendmail I would probably think hard
and run a specific configuration behind fetchmail if I were doing that.

Of course, in the good old days, when M*crap mail appeared size limits
used to catch us as well.  Probably before that whne people started
exchanging images as enclosures.

Andrew