[Wylug-help] Unstoppable script

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Mon Nov 29 14:57:09 UTC 2010

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:

> In a recent Linux Magazine, Charly K?hnast talked about a script that would
> email the sysadmin the moment someone logged in to the server, so quickly that
> it would be impossible to stop it.  Since I've seen some attacks (thankfully
> unsuccessful so far) I'd like to try this.  Two questions, then,
>
> Is /etc/rc.d the correct place for it, or is there a better?
> Should it be owned root:root?

Is it soemthing that runs all the time and needs to be started up at boot
time? If so then the control script for starting it is usually put in
/etc/init.d (assuming a typical sysV startup), and there are links from
various /etc/rcN.d directories that show init what to start/stop when
starting a runlevel (N).

Depends what the script needs access to. If it needs access to system logs,
then it will probably need to be run as root.

> Oh, and the third question -
>
> How can I activate something that should run from bootup, without rebooting
> the server?

For sysV init style start up

 /etc/init.d/servicename start

use stop, or restart for obvious actons.

For "upstart" etc

 start servicename