[Wylug-help] Suggestions for a Netbook/Distro for print server

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 23 09:34:39 UTC 2010

On Thursday 23 September 2010 10:18:19 Andy Coulson wrote:
> - A new netbook.  I am planning to run Ubuntu NBR on it, so are
> there any that everything has worked "Out of The Box"?  Is there
> anywhere I buy one without having to pay for Windows too?  Can
> anyone suggest one with biggish keyboard keys for the fat fingered
> amongst us?

Mines an EeePC 1005HA.  Nice keyboard.  Samsung are good.  Dell.  Best
to look at prices at about £200.  Resist any attempt for interest in
Viao prices.  EeePC works well with any version of Linux once winduhs
has been deleted.  Search - www.misco.co.uk - for mini notebook for a
quick reference.

> - I want to us the Sony to replace a print server, so I can sure
> one or two printers with a couple of linux boxes and a windows
> box, and possibly extend it to sharing a portable HDD and a
> scanner.  If the Laptop Screen finally gives up the ghost I need
> to do things remotely.  I know I can administer CUPS through a
> browser and perhaps use Webmin to look after the system, but what
> about Samba? Can anyone suggest a distro that is suited to doing
> this and is fairly novice friendly?

I've got an Ubuntu 10.04 system running in my kitchen sharing out a
Brother HPC-350 printer and others.  Works well with cups.  Easy to
install and maintain.

--
Richard
http://www.sheflug.org.uk