[Wylug-help] Suggestions for a Netbook/Distro for print server

Andy Coulson coulson.andy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 09:18:22 UTC 2010

Hi,
I'm looking at pensioning off my Sony vaio with a dysfunctional display, so
was wondering if anyone can suggest either of the following:

- A new netbook.  I am planning to run Ubuntu NBR on it, so are there any
that everything has worked "Out of The Box"?  Is there anywhere I buy one
without having to pay for Windows too?  Can anyone suggest one with biggish
keyboard keys for the fat fingered amongst us?

- I want to us the Sony to replace a print server, so I can sure one or two
printers with a couple of linux boxes and a windows box, and possibly extend
it to sharing a portable HDD and a scanner.  If the Laptop Screen finally
gives up the ghost I need to do things remotely.  I know I can administer
CUPS through a browser and perhaps use Webmin to look after the system, but
what about Samba? Can anyone suggest a distro that is suited to doing this
and is fairly novice friendly?

Thanks

Andy Coulson