[Wylug-help] RAID, mdadm and df

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Sep 24 13:28:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Martyn Ranyard wrote:

> Hi Roger,
>
>  The size thing is a container mindset issue.  /dev/md1 is the container for
>  the filesystem, and although the container has been grown with --grow but
>  the filesystem within it has not.  You need to use the filesystem tool to
>  resize the filesystem and unless you're using xfs, I believe you'll have to
>  do this offline (livecd).  extresize I believe is the tool for ext(2/3/4),
>  but I haven't got the full suite available to me at the moment to check.

Works with ext3 live too:

    "The resize2fs program will resize ext2 or ext3 file systems.  It can be
     used  to  enlarge or shrink an unmounted file system located on device.  If
     the filesystem is mounted, it can be used to expand the size of  the
     mounted filesystem, assuming the kernel supports on-line resizing.  (As of
     this writing, the Linux  2.6  kernel  supports  on-line  resize  for
     filesystems mounted using ext3 only.)."

Unless it's / you can just unmount it and resize it anyway.

jh