[Wylug-help] RAID, mdadm and df

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Sep 24 14:02:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Martyn Ranyard wrote:

> Hi John,
>
>  I realise it is a bit of an assumption that if a raid array is set up with
>  /boot, swap and a big partition, the big one is /, but I think it's a
>  fairly valid assumption :-)

;)

Ah yes, I'd missed the bit where he'd explicitly stated that:

md1 - sd?3 730266705 blocks, type fd (raid autodetect) mounted as /

But that still makes it growable without too much pain (within certain
bounds).

>   Yeah, resize2fs, that'd be why ext{tab} didn't bring it up on my system,
>   hopefully that'll make life easier for Roger, especially if it is mounted
>   as ext3 or 4.

I remembered the name the same as you had, and had to dig it out with:

$ locate -r '/sbin/*resize*'
/sbin/resize2fs

I've only ever used it successfully with ext3.  With ext4 I think you need to
make sure you've got shiny e4fsprogs installed which gives you
/sbin/resize4fs.

jh