[Wylug-help] Scriptable FTP, creating remote archives

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Fri Dec 2 13:05:34 UTC 2011

John Hodrien writes:

> tar cz /path/to/snapshot | lftp -c "put /dev/stdin -o backup.tar.gz" \
>                                 -u user,pass dumpserver.nixcraft.in

Nice.

Something along those lines was my first thought too, but when I
discovered lftp doesn't treat a filename of - as meaning stdin I gave up
(and reached for Perl instead).

I didn't know about /dev/stdin, so thank you for teaching me of its
existence.

Is it an old-style proper Unix feature that's been around for decades
without me noticing it? Where's it documented? (I see it's mentioned in
bash(1), so I really should've known about it, but that can't be its
canonical docs.)

Cheers

Smylers