[Wylug-help] Scriptable FTP, creating remote archives

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Dec 5 09:52:11 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011, Smylers wrote:

> Is it an old-style proper Unix feature that's been around for decades
> without me noticing it? Where's it documented? (I see it's mentioned in
> bash(1), so I really should've known about it, but that can't be its
> canonical docs.)

That's a good question, and I'm not sure about the answer to be honest.  Some
things seem to suggest it's not universally present and the appeared in linux
first, and it appears to behave slightly differently on different OSs.  I
don't have any suitably crusty machines to hand to check.

It's something I've only ever really used when - hasn't worked.

jh