[Wylug-help] Fwd: Laptop display problems - Radeon X600

John Craven jc at ukzone.com
Fri Dec 23 15:43:43 UTC 2011

At 14:02 23/12/2011 +0000, you wrote:
>On 12/23/2011 11:01 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes - no difference.

> >> No, but I will.
> >
> > I attached a monitor and booted directly in Mageia.  On the monitor,
> > everything was perfectly scaled.  The monitor is a 4:3 one, and the
> > laptop is a widescreen.  I attempted to change the display on the
> > laptop, but the preview was obviously not right.

You don't need to change the screen to get a good display between 4:3 and
16:9. It automatically adjusts

>After a couple of
> > attempts of that, the monitor died.  It's not a very old one, and it
> > may be absolutely coincidence, but I'm not sure it is.  The fuse is
> > fine, but I can't get even a power light on the monitor.
> >
>Wrong again! The monitor is fine.  It looks like a fault on that socket,
>so that's for investigation now.

If you can get a perfect picture on an external monitor, the probability is
the it is your screen that is faulty.
You can check this by switching between screen and monitor by using the f7
key (I think)
A replacement would cost in the region of £100 - £120.
If replacement is an option I would suggest that you definitely confirm
that your laptop will work OK on an external monitor.

If you prefer to scrap the notebook, and you are concerned about the hard
drive, there is only a couple of screws that hold it in.
You can easily take it out and a hammer will guarantee destruction.

However, if you have reinstalled a couple of times it is unlikely that
there is any sensitive data on it.

hth

John C

>The question about whether to remove the hard drive remains, so opinions
>please :-)
>
>Anne
>--
>Need KDE help?  Try
>http://userbase.kde.org or
>Http://forum.kde.org

>Text inserted by Panda IS 2012:
>
>  This message has NOT been classified as spam. If it is unsolicited mail
> (spam), click on the following link to reclassify it:
> http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_6510&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\John%20C\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda%20Internet%20Security%202012\AntiSpam

   Check out our British Country Music Web Sites

         http://www.countrymusic.org.uk
         http://www.bcmi-radio.co.uk

   Over 300,000 visitors a week