[Wylug-help] Fwd: Laptop display problems - Radeon X600

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 23 17:53:17 UTC 2011

On 12/23/2011 03:43 PM, John Craven wrote:
> At 14:02 23/12/2011 +0000, you wrote:
>> >
>> > I attached a monitor and booted directly in Mageia.  On the monitor,
>> > everything was perfectly scaled.  The monitor is a 4:3 one, and the
>> > laptop is a widescreen.  I attempted to change the display on the
>> > laptop, but the preview was obviously not right.
>
> You don't need to change the screen to get a good display between 4:3
> and 16:9. It automatically adjusts

Yes - my attempt to change it was simply to test whether it was the
switching mechanism that had gone.  I tried to set the panel to the
correct resolution manually, but it just couldn't do it, so it's not
just inability to switch automatically, but inability to use that
resolution at all.

> If you can get a perfect picture on an external monitor, the probability
> is the it is your screen that is faulty.

On the monitor the screen looks to be too big for the screen, but the
text is crisp.  On the LED screen all text consists of vertical stripes.

> You can check this by switching between screen and monitor by using the
> f7 key (I think)
> A replacement would cost in the region of £100 - £120.
> If replacement is an option I would suggest that you definitely confirm
> that your laptop will work OK on an external monitor.

It's definitely not worth spending that much money.

> If you prefer to scrap the notebook, and you are concerned about the
> hard drive, there is only a couple of screws that hold it in.
> You can easily take it out and a hammer will guarantee destruction.
>
> However, if you have reinstalled a couple of times it is unlikely that
> there is any sensitive data on it.

I think so too.  I may still decided to remove the drive, but either
way, I think it needs scrapping.  Thanks for the advice/opinions.

Need KDE help?  Try
http://userbase.kde.org or
Http://forum.kde.org