[Wylug-help] Does anyone know anything about aol mail accounts? - SOLVED

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 4 15:08:57 UTC 2011

On Sunday 02 January 2011 18:28:39 nigel white wrote:
> Hi Anne
>
> I also run mailman mailing lists. I get quite a few issues like this and
> I am not always able to resolve them. I quite agree that it is
> embarrassing.
>
> Here are the steps I take -
> 1. look in your admin area at her aol.co.uk address settings. Anything
> funny there? (sorry if this is obvious)
> 2. Make sure she is sending her messages with the list address in the
> To: box. (your list may be set to dissalow Cc: input).
> 3. Search the archives at http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%
> 40python.org/ for similar issues. They also have FAQs which cover
> regular glitches at http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Frequently+Asked
> +Questions
>
> Let me know if you get nowhere and I'll scratch my head a bit harder.

I checked everything and found nothing.  Then I had a brainwave - the obvious
is always the easiest to overlook.

When I have a problem on my computers I always think that there is a 50%+
chance that it is a pebcak.  For some reason I don't apply the same yardstick
to other users.  I took a serious look at the headers.  There, on the X-
Apparently-To: line she had listname-owner at domain.name.  Her mailer must be
gathering incoming addresses, and she had use the address from a bounce
message.

I've explained to her to get rid of this address, and make a new address
record for the list, and hopefully she'll be fine now.

It's amazing how long it can take you to see the obvious!  Seeing listname-
owner I had simply accepted that the message was a mailman one.

Thanks for trying to help, and sorry I wasted your time :-)

KDE Community Working Group