[Wylug-help] Which distro?

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jul 22 14:48:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011, Richard Ibbotson wrote:

> On Friday 22 July 2011 14:26:09 John Hodrien wrote:
>> I wouldn't recommend fedora for a system that you want to be
>> supported as long as possible.  Fedora 15 will fall out of support
>> in what, less than a year from now?
>
> <shrug> Easy installation guide...
>
> http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/linux/203-fedora-15-post-installation-guide

Sorry, I don't get it.  Are you saying, so what, here's a guide on how to
install, or have I missed something?

>> Does OpenSUSE have higher system requirements than Ubuntu or
>> Fedora?
>>
>> http://en.opensuse.org/Hardware_requirements
>>
>> This wouldn't seem to suggest so.
>
> It always did need a lot of RAM.  I can't get openSuSE to install in a
> virtual or real machine unless I have 2Gb of RAM.  Just says not
> enough memory.  Which is a shame because I love the openSuSE version
> of Linux.

I don't know the specifics of what you've done, but this just isn't true in
general.  I've just downloaded a copy of openSUSE 11.4, and done an install
clicking through and taking all the defaults, on a VM with 512Mbytes (which is
what they quote as the minimum).  It installed (graphically, which is more
than CentOS 6 can manage with that amount of memory), and works just fine.

jh