[Wylug-help] Which distro?

Mike Goodman mikegoodman1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 19:53:07 UTC 2011

On 22 July 2011 15:33, John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2011, Richard Ibbotson wrote:
>
>> On Friday 22 July 2011 14:26:09 John Hodrien wrote:
>>>
>>> I wouldn't recommend fedora for a system that you want to be
>>> supported as long as possible.  Fedora 15 will fall out of support
>>> in what, less than a year from now?
>>
>> <shrug> Easy installation guide...
>>

>> http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/linux/203-fedora-15-post-installation-guide
>
> Sorry, I don't get it.  Are you saying, so what, here's a guide on how to
> install, or have I missed something?
>
>>> Does OpenSUSE have higher system requirements than Ubuntu or
>>> Fedora?
>>>
>>> http://en.opensuse.org/Hardware_requirements
>>>
>>> This wouldn't seem to suggest so.
>>
>> It always did need a lot of RAM.  I can't get openSuSE to install in a
>> virtual or real machine unless I have 2Gb of RAM.  Just says not
>> enough memory.  Which is a shame because I love the openSuSE version
>> of Linux.
>
> I don't know the specifics of what you've done, but this just isn't true in
> general.  I've just downloaded a copy of openSUSE 11.4, and done an install
> clicking through and taking all the defaults, on a VM with 512Mbytes (which
> is
> what they quote as the minimum).  It installed (graphically, which is more
> than CentOS 6 can manage with that amount of memory), and works just fine.
>
> jh

FWIW Ubuntu updates don't offer new versions of compiled software. For
instance, Firefox moves on apace with the web's functionality but
unless you make the effort to upgrade the FF version, you're stuck
with what Ubuntu LTS was originally packaged with, for the full
lifetime of the LTS version (currently 10.4). If CentOS offers
software upgrades within its life cycle that would persuade me to
switch and to recommend that as the preferred option for anyone new to
Linux.
Sorry, switched my WYLUG account to Gmail and it seems it's truncating
the thread as well as attempting to reply to the last poster only.