[Wylug-help] Which distro?

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Sun Jul 24 18:50:45 UTC 2011

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011, Mike Goodman wrote:

> FWIW Ubuntu updates don't offer new versions of compiled software. For
> instance, Firefox moves on apace with the web's functionality but
> unless you make the effort to upgrade the FF version, you're stuck
> with what Ubuntu LTS was originally packaged with, for the full
> lifetime of the LTS version (currently 10.4). If CentOS offers
> software upgrades within its life cycle that would persuade me to
> switch and to recommend that as the preferred option for anyone new to
> Linux.

CentOS tracks RHEL exactly.  RHEL has a history of leaving most of the system
alone (bug/security fixes with only limited functionality upgrades), but
upgrading a number of the import points of contact (like the web browser).  So
RHEL4 was released in 2005 but now comes with firefox 3.6.

Personally, I think that's a great balance.  If you upgrade too much of the
system you change the behaviour and endlessly introduce painful new behaviours
and new bugs.  That's the experience you get if you track Fedora and do an
annual upgrade.  Great for experts with time on their hands.  For me, I think
there's a lot to be said for the slower more considered approach of RHEL.

jh