[Wylug-help] Disk health monitoring

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Thu May 26 13:39:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, 26 May 2011, Anne Wilson wrote:

> It says the general health passed, but it did find 4 errors.  I could use some
> help in understanding what it is telling me, though.  Could you look through
> it, please (attached) and comment?  Thanks

Sure.  Don't take my view as gospel, but here's my opinion:

   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   188   188   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       95

That's decidedly non-zero.  It's not a scary high number, but it means it's
done a decent enough remap.  It's not a high enough number for the disk to
consider it a fail.

All the logged errors we over a thousand hours of use ago, so I'd not worry
about them.  These could relate to the sectors that have already been
remapped.

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      7903         -

So it's survived its most recent test with no failures.

All in, I'd say that disk has had a fault, and it's dealt with it.  Until you
see a long test fail or some more errors I'd not panic.

jh