[Wylug-help] Disk health monitoring

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu May 26 14:41:11 UTC 2011

On Thursday 26 May 2011 14:27:32 John Hodrien wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2011, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > It says the general health passed, but it did find 4 errors.  I could use
> > some help in understanding what it is telling me, though.  Could you
> > look through it, please (attached) and comment?  Thanks
>
> Sure.  Don't take my view as gospel, but here's my opinion:
>
>    5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   188   188   140    Pre-fail  Always
>     -       95
>
> That's decidedly non-zero.  It's not a scary high number, but it means it's
> done a decent enough remap.  It's not a high enough number for the disk to
> consider it a fail.
>
> All the logged errors we over a thousand hours of use ago, so I'd not worry
> about them.  These could relate to the sectors that have already been
> remapped.
>
> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)
>  LBA_of_first_error # 1  Extended offline    Completed without error
> 00%      7903         -
>
> So it's survived its most recent test with no failures.
>
> All in, I'd say that disk has had a fault, and it's dealt with it.  Until
> you see a long test fail or some more errors I'd not panic.

So "LifeTime(hours)" refers to how long ago it saw the problem?  If that's so,
it sounds fairly re-assuring.

OK, thanks.  The laptop is destined for the lightest of use, probably no more
than 10 hours a week,  I'm fairly confident now that it will last a reasonable
length of time, at the end of which I'll just replace it with a low-end spec
laptop.

Thanks for all the help.

KDE Community Working Group