[Wylug-help] Disk health monitoring

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Thu May 26 13:48:37 UTC 2011

On Thu, 26 May 2011, Anne Wilson wrote:

> What is your opinion about the life of a laptop other than the drive?  The
> drive is about 3 years old - it was replaced under guarantee - but the laptop
> is around 5 years old.  Obviously it is far from state-of-the-art, but is it
> worth replacing the drive and using the laptop for light use, or would you say
> that at this age the odds of other component failures are too great?  I do
> have a Packard Bell laptop that must be nearly 10 years old, and still runs,
> but it's never been stressed at all.

Given I think your disk isn't definitely about to fail, I'd not buy a new
disk.  If it was about to fail, I'm not sure at all.

You really can buy decidedly nice fast laptops for not a lot of money, so I'd
make sure I properly questioned my instincts before repairing the thing.  I've
only ever had two laptops, and the only failure I've had was a hard disk under
warranty.

I suspect life of laptop is very closely linked with amount of abuse.

jh