[Wylug-help] Disk health monitoring

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu May 26 14:34:20 UTC 2011

On Thursday 26 May 2011 14:37:06 John Hodrien wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2011, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > What is your opinion about the life of a laptop other than the drive?
> > The drive is about 3 years old - it was replaced under guarantee - but
> > the laptop is around 5 years old.  Obviously it is far from
> > state-of-the-art, but is it worth replacing the drive and using the
> > laptop for light use, or would you say that at this age the odds of
> > other component failures are too great?  I do have a Packard Bell laptop
> > that must be nearly 10 years old, and still runs, but it's never been
> > stressed at all.
>
> Given I think your disk isn't definitely about to fail, I'd not buy a new
> disk.  If it was about to fail, I'm not sure at all.
>
> You really can buy decidedly nice fast laptops for not a lot of money, so
> I'd make sure I properly questioned my instincts before repairing the
> thing.  I've only ever had two laptops, and the only failure I've had was
> a hard disk under warranty.
>
> I suspect life of laptop is very closely linked with amount of abuse.

I've been thinking on those lines too.  The problem is that I'm an out-and-out
Yorkshirewoman - never throw out anything that can be mended :-)  You end up
with a house full of junk that you may get around to mending some day.  My
study is known in the family as "the computer graveyard".

KDE Community Working Group