[Wylug-help] Disk health monitoring

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Thu May 26 14:55:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, 26 May 2011, Anne Wilson wrote:

> So "LifeTime(hours)" refers to how long ago it saw the problem?  If that's so,
> it sounds fairly re-assuring.

No, lifetime hours is the powered on hours since it was factory reset (so
you'll normally buy one of these at 0, and it'll grow as you use it).  These
were the errors (snipped):

Error 4 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 5383 hours (224 days + 7 hours)
Error 3 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 5383 hours (224 days + 7 hours)
Error 2 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 5383 hours (224 days + 7 hours)
Error 1 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 5383 hours (224 days + 7 hours)

So these are all ~2500 hours ago (since now we're at >7903), so still a very
big number.

These are the self tests you've run (which are all fine):

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      7903         -
# 2  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      7901         -
# 3  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      7899         -
# 4  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      7899         -
# 5  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      7887         -
# 6  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      1839         -
# 7  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      1838         -
# 8  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      1838         -

I'd interpret this as mild error, fixed and logged, that's your lot.  The only
time I've had truly knackered disks they've been picked up by the self test,
but the other figures give you a warning that a failure is more likely.

> OK, thanks.  The laptop is destined for the lightest of use, probably no more
> than 10 hours a week,  I'm fairly confident now that it will last a reasonable
> length of time, at the end of which I'll just replace it with a low-end spec
> laptop.
>
> Thanks for all the help.

No problem.

jh