[Wylug-help] Epson printer, scanner all in one

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Wed Nov 23 15:58:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 23:18 +0000, JOHN WALKER wrote:

> I have an Epson Stylus SX115, printer, canner all in one.
>
> The computer has recognised the printer, and that works OK. But it
> will not detect the scanner.

Hi John,

I can't remember what distribution you said you were using. I think you
said Ubuntu, so assuming that's correct...

From a bit of research, it looks like the scanner works just as if you
had a separate printer and scanner. Downloading the Epson scanner driver
package should get it going.

Go here in your browser:

http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do

Scroll down and pick any model, it doesn't matter because you get the
same download!

Fill in the questionnaire bit and download the appropriate packages. The
ones you need are the deb packages, not RPM or source.

When you click on each package to download it, your browser should give
you the option of opening it which will then allow you to install it.

You need the following ones:

iscan-data_1.12.0-3_all.deb
iscan_2.28.0-2.ltdl7_i386.deb

NB: The numbers may change if they release updated versions, but they
will still follow the same patterns of iscan-data_xxxxxx_all.deb and
iscan_xxxxxx_ltdl7_i386.deb.

Once packages are installed, you should be able to use the scanner. The
default Ubuntu program is called "Simple Scan" and works well enough for
photos and documents.

If it says "No scanners detected", then come back and we'll dig some
more.

Best regards,

James

--
James Holden                     Developer, SEO, Technology Consultant
http://jamesholden.net/                          Leeds, United Kingdom