[Wylug-help] Mobile phone that gets Internet

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 20:05:26 UTC 2012

When making the decision, remember that Apple run a closed marketplace
where /they/ decide what you can install on your device vs Android
where they let you put anything on the market and take down only
things that are reported.  Similarly as the core of the OS is
Open-source with Android you can often flash a custom ROM (giving
things like openVPN), much like installing a new OS on your PC, which
is completely out with an iPhone.

Also with android you don't have to have a mac to install apps that
are not in the market - you can use any number of marketplace type
apps (amazon appstore*; slide marketplace; getjar etc) or simply
download the .apk file and click it.

If you want a physical keyboard, iPhones are out too, and there's no
current-gen android with a keyboard - the highest spec android I'm
aware of with a physical kb is the Desire Z.

--
Martyn

*Amazon Appstore is officially only available in the US, but there are
ways, as Modaco will lead you to if you search well.