[Wylug-help] Can't install on Hardware SATA RAID10 on startech.com PCISATA4R1

Chris Davies MBCS chris.davies at bcs.org.uk
Wed Feb 29 13:58:58 UTC 2012

On 29/02/12 09:34, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> However, I cannot install Fedora. I've tried 14 and 16.  Both installs see the
> hardware RAID

> but when I select it and try install the system crashes.

Is there an option for "just use the disk", instead of Fedora trying to
be clever about recognising that it's found BIOS level hardware RAID?

I've installed Debian on a fair number of Dell servers, all of which
(bar a couple) have had hardware RAID. The resulting virtualised disk(s)
have been seen by the kernel and presented simply as /dev/sda, /dev/sdb,
etc. Additional tools from Dell allow monitoring of the slices within
the RAID array, but to the remainder of the OS each is just "a (big) disk".

Chris