[Wylug-help] Can't install on Hardware SATA RAID10 on startech.com PCISATA4R1

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Wed Feb 29 17:37:51 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 29 February 2012 17:02:36 John Hodrien wrote:
> I was more meaning delete it and then try to recreate it as fake raid from
> within the installer (which if done right then is also picked up by the
> BIOS).
>
> For me, I go either mdraid or hardware RAID.  Fakeraid (dmraid) just seems
> to be a mash of the disadvantages and advantages of the two, but not in a
> way I've ever liked.
>
> If you've got a four disk raid 10 set that you're trying to setup, just
> create a four disk raid 1 mdraid mirror for /boot, and install grub on each
> disk. That way it can always boot unless all disks fail.  Then, if you're
> in a state where the kernel won't boot, you're pretty much stuffed anyway.
>
> jh

I've tried deleting the array within the BIOS and then booting the install
DVD. It sees the four individual drives but does not give me any way of
recreating it within anaconda. The Firmware RAID tab is empty.

I'm beginning to think that this card isn't what I'm needing. Can anyone
recommend a suitable replacement?

Cheers

Gary

--