[Wylug-help] server distro's - was grub problems...

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 11:05:11 UTC 2012

On Thursday 12 July 2012 11:28:47 Chris Davies wrote:
> The reason I moved to Debian, and similar reasons have been quoted
> by the SysAdmin team, is that the package management "just works",
> and hides much of the dependency hell from the administrator. I
> believe yum now does a fair job on RH-type systems but I for one
> got absolutely fed up with the number of rpms that needed
> downloaded individually each time a new package was required. Once
> bitten, and all that.

My own 10p's-worth on this is that I started on RedHat and Debian back
in 1995.  At that time the RPM package manager was a pile of *******
****.  To be nice about it. Present day I find it hard to choose
between apt-get and yum.  Sometimes I use smart.  TBH I find that
Fedora or RedHat is easy to use for servers.  Debian is also good.

Last week I tried to install a Debian Apache server with a Debian 6.05
netinstall image.  It produced a non-bootable hung system.  Had to use
System Rescue CD to get it to boot.  Probably a good idea to remember
that this is x86 hardware.  Which probably isn't seen very much in
commercial circles.  Outside of a University.  Okay, so Universities
and organisations like NASA use x86 PC clusters but probably not in
commercial organisations.  I worked in a BT data centre in Sheffield a
few times.  Not much x86 hardware in the servers that are being used.

--
Richard

https://twitter.com/SleepyPenguin1