[Wylug-help] server distro's - was grub problems...

Chris Davies chris at roaima.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 10:27:17 UTC 2012

On 11/07/12 22:19, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> I've always use RedHat followed by Fedora for my servers (and
> workstations for that matter). I did try moving to CentOS but was
> frustrated by the restrictive RPM base. I haven't tried anything else
> yet, but was wondering what people's thoughts/suggestions were

Am I allowed (!) to chip in and say that where I used to work we used
Debian "stable" whenever possible (with specific non-stable packages if
absolutely necessary), and RHEL when third-party support requirements
dictated. For example, my development servers were Debian but the Oracle
database underpinning them ran on RHEL. Servers run headless, thanks to
BIOS-level remote access controllers, and without a GUI. My (work)
laptop was - and still is - running Debian with a GUI. Mind you, much of
what I run are xterms...

The reason I moved to Debian, and similar reasons have been quoted by
the SysAdmin team, is that the package management "just works", and
hides much of the dependency hell from the administrator. I believe yum
now does a fair job on RH-type systems but I for one got absolutely fed
up with the number of rpms that needed downloaded individually each time
a new package was required. Once bitten, and all that.

Chris