[Wylug-help] server distro's - was grub problems...

Chris Davies chris at roaima.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 18:17:33 UTC 2012

On 12/07/12 12:06, Richard Ibbotson wrote:
> Last week I tried to install a Debian Apache server with a Debian 6.05
> netinstall image. It produced a non-bootable hung system. Had to use
> System Rescue CD to get it to boot. Probably a good idea to remember
> that this is x86 hardware. Which probably isn't seen very much in
> commercial circles. Outside of a University. Okay, so Universities and
> organisations like NASA use x86 PC clusters but probably not in
> commercial organisations. I worked in a BT data centre in Sheffield a
> few times. Not much x86 hardware in the servers that are being used.

An unbootable system doesn't sound good. I can't say I've had a large
number of problems with running Debian on the x86-based Dell kit (1U and
2U rack-mount stuff) I used to use over the last 5-10 years. The usual
complication was when installing remotely, using a virtual CD drive
(remote access stuff is oh so clever), the installer would get confused
by the presence of the vCD enough for it to name the hard drives
incorrectly once I disconnected the vCD.

Chris