[Wylug-help] server distro's - was grub problems...

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 12:00:12 UTC 2012

On Thursday 12 July 2012 19:19:03 Chris Davies wrote:
> An unbootable system doesn't sound good. I can't say I've had a
> large number of problems with running Debian on the x86-based Dell
> kit (1U and 2U rack-mount stuff) I used to use over the last 5-10
> years. The usual complication was when installing remotely, using a
> virtual CD drive (remote access stuff is oh so clever), the
> installer would get confused by the presence of the vCD enough for
> it to name the hard drives incorrectly once I disconnected the vCD.

No, I've not had much of a problem with Debian and Ubuntu systems that
don't boot.  Only recently.  I'm building a new 64-bit x86 server to
get round this problem.  More modern hardware should take care of the
issue.  Strangely I just ran YUM on my Fedora 17 machine.  The update
is ?  GRUB 2 update.  So, must be fixed on Fedora.

--
Richard
www.sheflug.org.uk

https://twitter.com/SleepyPenguin1