[Wylug-help] BT (ADSL?) connection instead of cable ... or not.

Roger roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 00:26:34 UTC 2012

Hi,

The background ...

For ages, I've been on Cable for my LAN's internet connection: first
Bradford Cable, then Yorkshire Cable, then Virgin.  At that time, the
Virgin Home service wasn't adequate for my needs - I was serving a
number of websites from my server - so I changed to ntl Business as my ISP.

All too soon, Virgin took over ntl, so since then I've been paying for
the Virgin Business service.

For technical, rather than commercial, reasons (I couldn't fix the
problems cause by IANA's most recent IP table changes) I no longer serve
websites (though I keep Apache running to serve my intra-net).  That
means I don't need that level of service, while retirement means that
the cost (~£40 per month) really isn't justified...

The question ...

One option I looked at seriously was the Post Office's phone+broadband
package (half the price).  However, their website only offers support
for Windows and Apple machines, while I want to keep running my Linux
server.

Since I have a cable connection, their website couldn't cope and when I
rang their 0800 number, they told me I'd have to have my cable
connection removed and replaced by a BT line.

As a first reaction, I told them I wasn't interested and hung up.  I
know how to handle a cable connection with my Linux server, but handling
a BT, presumably ADSL, connection, to my Linux server (when they don't
say they support Linux) freaked me out.  Where would I get the advice
I'd need to cope?

Is anyone here able to provide such advice (how to handle a BT ADSL
connection), or to suggest an alternative Linux-friendly, cable ISP - at
a lower cost than I'm paying now?

TIA,
Roger